How does kronosnet relate to/compare with Transparent Inter Process Communication (TIPC)

Roger Zhou zzhou at suse.com
Fri Dec 21 07:16:59 CET 2018

My 2 cents for their difference, as being exposed to both knet
(currently) and tipc (several years ago), though limited.

* Network topology - distance among nodes

  - knet is flexible among different subnets, and leverage IP routing
    infrastructure.

  - Well, tipc, by its name, inherits from IPC. The cluster inter node
    communication mostly is inside the subnet, no routing in between.
    Even further, tipc supports intra node communication. Its capability
    and performance is pretty cool.

* in-kernel implementation vs. user space

  - knet might be good to work with user space protocol stack, eg. DPDK,
    if there is use case push hard for performance.

  - tipc is implemented in kernel, naturally good performance for its
    application in the kernel land. Though, it does provide userspace
    interface.

* cluster membership management

  - knet's application, namely, corosync is full fledged together with
    pacemaker.

  - well, tpic's membership management is limited. Basically, there is no
    equivalent implementation in kernel like corosync.

* Community and Industry

  - knet is part of Linux HA/ClusterLabs, which helps use cases in
    enterprise data centers.

  - tipc is part of OpenSAF, which helps use cases in Data
    Communication, HPC, etc.

I do think it is a very interesting research topic to merge both
communities at some extent.

Cheers,
Roger