How does kronosnet relate to/compare with Transparent Inter Process Communication (TIPC)

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Fri Dec 21 00:30:32 CET 2018

Hello list,

sometimes, usually when surfing semi-randomly, I get to know about
things that either resemble deja vu to me, or make me feel that
I must have lived in an utter ignorance/tunnel so far.

Now, both thing combined:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparent_Inter-process_Communication

Especially now that I checked the kernel module and userspace utility
lurk on my Linux machine without ever being asked :-)

$ { eval modinfo\ {-F\ description\ ,-F\ version\ ,-F\ license\ }tipc\;
  echo; tipc -h; }
> TIPC: Transparent Inter Process Communication
> 2.0.0
> Dual BSD/GPL
>
> Transparent Inter-Process Communication Protocol
> Usage: tipc [OPTIONS] COMMAND [ARGS] ...

>  -h, --help 		Print help for last given command
>
> Commands:
>  bearer                - Show or modify bearers
>  link                  - Show or modify links
>  media                 - Show or modify media
>  nametable             - Show nametable
>  node                  - Show or modify node related parameters
>  peer                  - Peer related operations
>  socket                - Show sockets

Naturally, I am curious how much of an overlap is there, wether there
have been any comparisons/benchmarks conducted, all the these sort of
things incl. whether the was an a priori knowledge, perhaps
inspirational, about this other project.

Kronosnet looks to me more on the pragmatically usable and simple side,
buying also better portability and avoiding complexities (I take the
plugins more like a "look what we can offload from your application
layer" demonstration, yet encryption/auth/integrity protection makes
a great deal of sense there) beyond UDP (which fully suffices when
combined with corosync), something that TIPC covers as well while
providing a lot of other abstractions incl. peer discovery, bells
and unicorns (which might be heavy overkill for that use case).

Any inputs welcome.

--
Jan (Poki)